Like many alumni organisations our events and activities were wiped out during 2020 due to the Covid Pandemic.
We were unable to gather for two milestone events – the 25th Anniversary of the School closure and the 60th Anniversary of the inauguration of Assumption House as a prep school.
We were unable to hold our annual Service to remember OAs who died in the last 12 months and to hold our annual Service to those OAs who gave their lives in the two World Wars.
We are delighted a Vaccine for Covid-19 has been found and that a Vaccination programme has commenced which will go on into 2021. With this good news on the horizon we can begin to look forward to organising gatherings and events once we are given the green light from the Government.
The OA Committee has not been idle over the past 12 months. indeed, thanks to our Chairman, Chris Horsburgh, “ZOOM” meetings of the Committee have been held throughout the year so that we can carry out the Society’s business.
While there have been no events, there has been quite a bit of activity behind the scenes. Over the past 12 months we have:
- Updated the Website so that everyone can have access to the archive of school photographs as we lifted the requirement for password access.
- Updated new Financial and Banking Systems so we have online Banking and an easy payment system at events.
- Revamped Membership recruitment and increased our Contacts base and introduced a special rate of £100 for Life Members.
- Carried out preparatory work for events in 2021.
In 2021 (Covid Restrictions Permitting) we will see:
- Further Archive material appearing on our website.
- The return of our annual Remembrance Day event at our War Memorial at St. Augustine’s Church, Ramsgate.
- Reintroduction of our Calendar of Events (Covid Restrictions Permitting) including a Mass in Remembrance of OAs who have died over the past two years.
- Re-arrange Martin Morton Remembrance Service and lunch.
- A Black-Tie Dinner at the National Liberal Club in Central London on THURSDAY 15th JULY 2021 to commemorate the Anniversary of the College leaving Ramsgate to move to Westgate on Sea. (Bookings taken from January 2021)
One BIG request is if you haven’t already done so, please become a Member of the OAs. Make it a New Year’s Resolution!! Without Membership support we can’t keep going, so please join. Details are on this link: https://www.oldaugustinians.org.uk/membership-join If you join and pay now annual Membership subs are £10.00
Please note: From 1st January 2021 annual Membership subs increase to £20.00. If you are paying Membership subs by Standing Order, please adjust accordingly – thank you.
On behalf of the OA Committee, we hope you have a Merry Christmas and look forward to seeing you in 2021.
The Society of Old Augustinians